After the attacks of the occupiers on August 5, a power unit of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant was shut down. As of the morning of August 6, the ZNPP is operating with the risk of violating radiation and fire safety regulations, the state NPP operator Energoatom reported.
The agency previously stated that the nitrogen-oxygen station and the combined auxiliary corps were seriously damaged as a result of the shelling. There are also risks of hydrogen leakage and sputtering of radioactive substances, and the fire hazard is high.
"As a result of the attack on the Zaporizhzhia NPP, the emergency protection system was triggered, and one of the three operating power units was turned off," the message reads.
In addition, the Russian military "hid" in the basements of the Zaporizhzhia NPP — they occupied all the basements where they hide from shelling.
"Ukrainian personnel currently do not have access to these premises, so in the event of new shelling, people have no shelter and are in danger," says Energoatom.
Zaporizhzia regional governor Oleksandr Starukh said that after two power lines were damaged as a result of the Russians' attack on the ZNPP, a fire broke out, which was extinguished by employees of the State Emergency Service.
"The 4th unit of the ZNPP was taken out of service. There is no great danger yet. The enemy is deliberately aggravating the situation around the nuclear power plant: it is trying to create a picture that Ukrainians are the same savages as the invading forces," he said.
Shelling of the nuclear power plant
The state enterprise Energoatom reported that the occupiers fired in the direction of the captured Zaporizhzhia NPP on August 5. As a result of the Russian shelling at 2:30 p.m, three strikes were recorded near the industrial site of the station. According to the company, the occupiers hit the 330 kV high-voltage communication line of the autotransformer of the Zaporizhzhia TPP.
Later, another attack on the ZNPP as reported: three strikes were recorded directly on the site of the plant near one of the power units where the nuclear reactor is located. The occupiers seriously damaged the nitrogen-oxygen station and the joint auxiliary building. There are risks of hydrogen leakage and sputtering of radioactive substances. Fire danger is high.
Currently, there are no victims. Ukrainian personnel of the ZNPP are on site and perform all measures to ensure nuclear and radiation safety and eliminate the consequences of damage.
Capture of the Zaporizhzhia NPP
On the night of March 4, the occupiers started shooting at one of the power units of the Zaporizhzhia NPP. As a result, a fire broke out in the educational and training building of the NPP, which was later extinguished. The territory of the NPP was seized by the Russian invaders, but the operation of the plant is still controlled by the personnel of the ZNPP.
The International Atomic Energy Agency reported that the Russian state concern Rosatom sent a group of nuclear specialists to the temporarily seized ZNPP, who are trying to take control of the plant's management. However, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated that Rosatom employees want to leave because they do not understand the work of the Ukrainian station.
According to Petro Kotin, the head of SE "NAEK Energoatom", there are approximately 500 Russian soldiers, a lot of Russian equipment, explosives, etc. on the territory of the ZNPP. The personnel of the NPP work under pressure from the occupiers, which has exacerbated recently.
And although the station's technical staff actually works under the instructions of Ukrainian specialists, ZNPP employees are forced to coordinate all their actions with the commanders of the occupiers.