The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) reported sightings of two convoys crossing the unsecured Russia-Ukraine border in Donbas last month – one into Ukraine, and one leaving Ukraine.
The Principal Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE SMM Alexander Hug told Hromadske on August 30 that although the images captured by their drones “speak for themselves,” they should not be “overinterpreted.”
What’s more, the contents of the trucks remain unknown as the drones were not able to see inside the vehicles.
Hug also noted that the OSCE SMM has recorded “very regular” and “systematic” restricted freedom of movement to some of the villages not under Ukrainian control, as well as the presence of heavy weaponry.
Photo credit: HROMADSKE
“We’ve also previously seen either from the aerial or through the patrols on the ground that there is heavy weaponry stationed there in violation of the agreed withdraw lines,” Hug said.
In light of the recent fourth anniversary of the 2014 Battle of Ilovaisk, which is regarded as one of the most tragic episodes of the war to date, Hug added that restricted access to location of the battle is one of the main reasons why the Ukrainian government can’t investigate the event.